I have to be honest here. . . I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with the health/fitness industry. I absolutely LOVE what I do and love helping others reach their goals and gain a healthier relationship with food and exercise, BUT I HATE everyday feeling like I’m a little fish swimming upstream trying to debunk all the myths that tend to suck the average consumer into buying bogus products and starting trendy diets. Shiny and new somehow always wins, and I’ll continue to preach the “old” science-based stuff that is proven effective!
- Gluten– unless you’ve been diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease or have an intolerance to gluten, there’s nothing wrong with keeping it in your diet. Just because something is GLUTEN-FREE doesn’t make it healthier or more fat loss friendly! Chips, cookies and other processed foods can all be made without gluten, but I can assure you if you’re eating too much of them, you’ll gain weight!
- Wheat- once again, unless you have an allergy/intolerance, there’s no reason to avoid wheat! If you feel better overall by eliminating wheat, by all means, go for it! BUT, don’t think it’s the food that will magically make fat loss easier if you remove it. It all comes down to those calories!
- Dairy- yet another food that has gotten a bad wrap! Dairy-free is another buzz word you’ll see food companies use to get you to believe their product is healthier. Dairy products have lactose, which is a sugar, and just like any sugar or any food, too much will make you gain weight, but moderate amounts are ok! Now with that being said, there are many people who cannot tolerate dairy or just don’t like it. . . for those people there are plenty of other options out there, but don’t avoid it or eliminate it because you think it’s what’s causing your weight issues.
- Carbs- for some reason people still think carbs are the reason for their weight problems. . . they think bread is to blame! When was the last time you opened a loaf of bread and ate it all?? For most people, the answer is NEVER! You see carbs don’t make us fat, nor do any other foods specifically, but it’s too many calories overall. When people refer to carbs being bad, or making them fat, what most are actually referring to is HIGH FAT + HIGH CARB foods! Think donuts, pastries, pizza, fettuccini Alfredo, etc. These foods aren’t stand-alone carbs, they have about just as much fat (if not more) as carbs! Most people tend to often overeat these types of food, thus gaining weight overtime. Once again, it’s not the type of food leading to weight gain, it’s the over-consumption and it’s easy to over-eat the fat+carb combo!
- Egg Yolks– do you still avoid eating the yolk of an egg because you think egg whites only are healthier and will lead to better fat loss results? If this is you, STOP! Did you know that PROTEIN + FAT is one of the best ways you can create satiety, thus helping curb hunger and cravings? Yes. . . it’s true! So have the yolk! It may actually help you cut your calories and lose those unwanted pounds!
So instead of searching for foods to eliminate from your diet, I challenge you to start focusing on adding HEALTHIER options and observe how when you fill your body full of fibrous PRODUCE and lean PROTEIN, naturally your hunger and cravings will decrease, which creates a caloric deficit that is sustainable! THAT’S WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS. . . GETTING HORMONES IN CHECK, SO YOU CAN CREATE AN EASY WAY TO CUT CALORIES WITHOUT STARVING YOURSELF!
For more tips, be sure to get on my email list HERE and share you comments below!