Summer is here, and for many of us, that means kids are home and routines no longer exist!
I LOVE the freedom of summertime, but I also LOVE routine, so summer can be challenging for me. With kids home, it can be easy to graze the kitchen throughout the day and get off the normal workout routine.
So many moms share with me their summer struggles, and often describe summer as heading into “survival mode.” Summer is fun, but it can be hard to eat healthy and get those workouts in with summer vacations and the kids roaming the house on the daily.
I want to give you a few summer tips I use to stay on track with my goals!
HERE ARE 6 TIPS TO HELP YOU STAY HEALTHY & SANE THIS SUMMER:
- WAKE UP EARLY! If you’re a stay-at-home mom, and summertime brings the luxury of sleeping in, I still recommend waking up earlier than your kiddos! This allows time to get a quick sweat session in before the kid activities begin!
- GET ACTIVE WITH YOUR KIDS! Go for walks or bike rides to the park, go swimming, or even go to a trampoline park! Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch your kids be active! Kids LOVE it when we participate with them! By doing these activities with them, we can increase our NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), which accounts for the majority of calories we burn each day.
- CREATE KITCHEN HOURS! If you have a kitchen open 24/7 to your kids, chances are, you too will find yourself grazing/snacking all day and getting in lots of extra calories! So make a rule for yourself and your kids! Make sure the kitchen is CLOSED certain hours of the day and DO NOT keep it open for snacking all day long!
- DON’T BLOW IT ON THE WEEKENDS! If your goal is fat loss, and you keep your diet strict Monday-Friday, then drink alcohol and eat in overabundance on the weekends, you’ll never get ahead! Instead, try to be less restrictive overall and eat “good” 7-days a week! Be mindful of your eating all week long (not just during the week), and also try to choose lower-calorie beverages if you do drink alcohol.
- PLAN ACTIVITIES! You don’t need to have every single day scheduled for the summer, but interspersing unplanned days with days that have scheduled activities can help keep you and your kids sane and active! I like to have days where we have something planned to get out of the house by 9am! Whether that’s a simple playdate at the park, Vacation Bible School or sport camp, having somewhere to be helps with routine and helps keep you and your kids active!
- ENJOY THE SUMMER AND GIVE YOURSELF GRACE! It’s summertime, your kids may want to enjoy an ice-cold treat with you from time-to-time and that’s ok! Don’t miss out on life because you want to lose a few extra pounds. Find the balance that works for you and make memories with your family!
My Summertime #FABFITFREE 14-Day Workout Series is coming later this summer! Last summer over 100 people participated, and I can’t wait to do it all over again!
Stay-tuned for enrollment! If you’re not on my email list, you can get there by clicking HERE and be the first to know when enrollment opens!